Wednesday 1 January 2014

Salt and Glue Painted Canvas






I have a couple of friends who've had a trying year, so at Christmas I made them some inspirational gifts. I thought I'd try out a new technique of using water colours with glue and salt. I've seen lots of examples on tinternet but I imagine you probably get different effects depending on your exact technique and what salt or paint you use. Anyway here's my tutorial....






         
Paint your canvas with a selection of watercolours, using so much that it 'puddles' on the canvas.



Next drip glue over the painted canvas, see how it starts to act like a resist, pushing the paint away.



Then sprinkle salt over the canvas to draw up some of the watercolour. I used a mix of rock salt and table salt.  Leave the canvas to dry.













This is what the canvas looked like the following morning. When it dries the salt gives the canvas a bit of a shimmer.






Here's the finished gifts once I'd hotglued a coaster with an inspirational quote onto it.




No comments:

Post a Comment