Wednesday 22 January 2014

10 minute Infinity Scarf (2)


Well, I don't have an infinity scarf but I do have a bit of spare material around. So, yesterday I decided to test the claims that you can make one of these in 10 minutes.


I've used a black, stretchy material that has a kind of sheen to it. Can't remember exactly what it's called but at the time I bought it, I was also recommended to buy ballpoint machine needles - if that helps.



Right the clock is ticking! 



Basically I used the same method as before. First I made a long tube by folding the material over lengthways and sewing along the edge. I used the whole width of the material, cutting off a small piece to use for a cuff later. The tube ended up being about 58 inches x 8 inches. 



I turned the tube the right way out and folded it in half so that the open ends met. I pinned and sewed together the two middle edges (for photos see Infinity Scarf (1), black material isn't good for clear photos).



Turn the tube inside out, seams now on the outside, and sew together the remaining two edges, leaving a gap of a couple of inches. 



Watching the clock, I turned the scarf inside out again and used the machine to sew the gap closed, sewing neat and close to the edge.



Result - basic infinity scarf complete in about 20 minutes! Not bad.

My model, no.2






























Remember the material I saved for a cuff? I made a rectangle about 2 1/2 inches x 5 inches (double thickness) and sewed round edges leaving a small gap so I could turn it inside out. I put on the scarf, doubling it over and then slipped it all back over my head. I then wrapped the cuff (turned right side out) around the scarf and sewed the cuff together using the machine. 


You could add buttons or flowers to the cuff too, but they look good without cuffs too.


No comments:

Post a Comment