Saturday 29 March 2014

Tree of Life Banner (3)



So on the newly attached right hand side, I used a split stitch to add the biblical quote from Revelations 22.2. It says 'And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.'

This is also the point at which I didn't know where to stop. Over time (quite a long time!) I added a butterfly (to symbolise new life) more fruit, more leaves, hand stitched tendrils and added buds. 











The buds are yo-yo's too but a started with a leaf shape rather than a circle.



 Most noticeably I added a whole new patch of quilted field! 




A pocket for the pole.


Eventually I reached a point where I was happy with the whole design and then spent the next few days assembling the banner. I backed the banner with the same heavy material in reverse - so the back is black. I made tab tops and created a pocket at the bottom of the reverse so that I could slip a pole in here to help the banner hang straight. It really worked!








A lot of the colour was on the left hand side so to balance it out a bit I made my own multicoloured bias binding from the material I had used for the yo-yo's and hand stitched it to the left hand side. Finally finished!




Well, it only stayed at home finished for one evening. I've took it down to church the following morning and handed it over so they can decide where to hang it.



The finished banner.......



I'll take a better photo when it's hanging in church.
Well it took the best part of fifteen months to make the banner. I went through so many different ideas and lots of trial and error. The process was quite fluid and the design changed as I went along. It's always hard making something for others when the brief is so wide - you're never really sure of whether it's going to be what the audience are hoping for. 


The banner has not been hung yet but i hear a select number of people have seen it and I've received some lovely compliments. Which is a good as I've already been asked to get crafting on more projects...........

No comments:

Post a Comment