Saturday 29 March 2014

Tree of Life Banner (2)




Well, I had a number of ideas of how I would make the branches of tree. These included rolling material into tubes and then stitching it on, making material tubes and stitching them on or quilting strips straight onto the banner.



The idea was to avoid having to appliqué the tree....fiddly. However, having spent some time trying other methods and failing to make any of them work I've eventually returned to simply cutting material and appliquéing it onto the banner!!!!


I am though pleased with the results .....





The dark patches are where I was damping off chalk lines!
The next part was to start making the fruit and leaves of the tree. I settled on using fabric yo-yo's and buttons for the fruit and appliquéing fabric leaves onto the tree.


Making fabric yo-yo's

If you haven't made fabric yo-yo's before, they're quite simple. First cut out a circle of fabric, then sew a running stitch around the edge (if you turn the edge over first it will make for a neater finish) and lastly pull the running stitch to gather the fabric in.







Part way into this stage I decided the banner needed to be bigger! So, I attached another strip of different coloured banner material to right hand side (not shown in these photos). Part of the reason for this was so that I had room to embroider some wording or a biblical quote onto the banner - coming later. 



The heading was possibly the trickiest part of the banner. After a lot of trial and error, I stitched shiny blue lettering, which I had stiffened with iron-on web to stop it fraying, to the banner using a tight zigzag stitch over the edges. Later I also added hand stitched backstitch in gold to make the lettering stand out more.






Nearly there......










No comments:

Post a Comment