Wednesday 26 March 2014

Sock Owls


Class 5/6 are going to make sock animals. I'm excited about this one as it will follow on nicely from my sock rabbits and sock snowmen (tutorial for sock rabbits is on 40daysofcrafts.blogspot.co.uk). I'm having a go at sock owls using two different methods from the same sock.



Let's start with a sock - any sock will do, it doesn't have to typically owl patterned. First, I've cut the toe end of the sock off near to the heel, to a point. This will be Owl A. 









Next, using the remaining leg end of the same sock, I've made a slightly curved cut near to the heel. This will be Owl B. You can discard the heel - but keep it if you make any other sock animals as you never know when you might need it.





Owl A (left) and Owl B (right)















Owl A


You can now fill Owl A with your chosen stuffing, right up to the point. I put some rice in the bottom first to help it stand. Now, you can simply fold the triangle over and overstitch it closed, at the same time as attaching it to the stuffed sock. Or you can first stitch the point closed before folding the point over and stitching it to the stuffed sock. Yay - basic owl shape, now the rest is up to you!


Yay - basic owl shape!





















Owl B



First turn the sock owl inside out and use a back stitch to stitch closed the curved end. Turn your sock the right way out - see the little pointy ears. Now, stuff the sock. 






Before sealing the owl closed I put a few tablespoons of rice on top of the stuffing (actually the bottom of the owl). I then put a running stitch through the sock cuff and pulled to closed, putting some extra stitches in to secure. My owl stands no problem - possibly the rice helps. 






So here are my two sock owl shapes ready to decorate........ 








To decorate, you could keep it sock authentic and use other sock pieces to create the wings, eyes, trims, feathers, feet etc - I used the matching sock to make wings. I cut two wing shapes for each owl, stitched them right sides together, turned them inside out and attached them to the owl body. Or you could use felt, buttons, wool or anything else you have to jazz them up.



So why not make an sock owl - it'll be a hoot! 




No comments:

Post a Comment