Wednesday 18 February 2015

Cushion Cover



Just before Christmas, I made up a simple cushion for a friend, to give to her as a surprise Christmas gift. However, when I'd finished I measured the cover against the cushion I had bought - and it was far too small! I don't know where I went wrong and though I could probably have just bought some smaller cushions, I decided instead to make them bigger using the remaining matching material.


The original cushion was a simple flap over fastening - no zips - held with a couple of buttons.  I kept the fastening 'as was', deciding not to make my alteration any harder.  I decided to unpick the original cushion and then add on 2 inch strips all the way round back and front of the original cushion. I even overstitched the edges as the material tended to fray! Yes it was a bit more 'faffing' about!






Once I had two new improved cushion sides, I matched up back and front (back to back) using pins to hold the sides together in the right places - at the corners - while I stitched the sides together.



Overall I was really pleased with the finished cushion (I actually made two) - and I decided not to tell my friend about my original mistake - of course if she ever reads this..........!


No comments:

Post a Comment