Sunday 21 December 2014

Poppy Brooch



This year I've made my own poppy brooch for Remembrance Day. I started by cutting rounds from red chiffon. My rounds were 4-5cm approx (didn't measure as usual!). 





Note - a tea light is easier to use than a candle!


The trick then is to lightly singe all around the edges of each round by holding it over a flame - mind your fingers!. This causes the rounds to maybe crinkle a little and curl up, giving them a more petal-like shape. It may need a bit of practise.


Once you have the petals, simply lay them on top of each other until you have the right shape. My poppies have about 8 petals each. I then secured them together with a few stitches in the middle.



As I was making a poppy I stitched a large black button into the middle and also wrapped and stitched in some black, fluffy wool around the button for more effect. However, they would probably be just as effective without the extra wool.


I also added green leaves using the same flame technique for the petals but starting with a leaf shape. I had several goes at this as I kept melting off parts of the leaf!



To finish I glued a circle of felt, with two small slits in the centre to the back and attached a safety pin through the slits. This was ok for me - but you can use other ways to make it more secure.


You can use this technique to make different coloured flowers - I've decorated my daughter's prom dress with ivory ones and used beads in the centres instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment