Thursday 30 October 2014

Zentangles


This week I made some very early Christmas cards with the children in year 5/6. "Why so early?" I hear you ask. Well, we send them off to be printed and made into packs of four that parents are then asked to buy, as a means of fundraising.


So, I read up a bit on zentangling. Turns out it's not just doodling. Zentangles are made of abstract, repetitive patterns and traditionally black and white. They are also meant to be meditative and unplanned. So our aim was to have a very chilled art session - result!





The method is fairly simple. First draw your basic shape. Then add some lightly drawn pencil lines called 'strings' to give some form. Next ink in the strings. Now you can start creating 'tangles' in the spaces.   



Although zentangles are meant to be unplanned and hand drawn, I did prep some stencils for the children and provided some example sheets. 





I think they did a fantastic job!









Anyway I shall be off now to do a bit of my own zentangling!

No comments:

Post a Comment